I started documenting this list last year and thought this would be an interesting annual exercise, so here goes for Y2011.
As I explained a year ago, I subscribe to Seth Godin’s Blog. If you don’t know Seth yet, and you are a marketer in any form, you really should become familiar with his writings. One of Seth’s ideas that has really sunk in for me is when he talks about “Just Ship It”. Meaning actually completing a project and letting it out into the world, even if it isn’t exactly perfect. I like Seth’s idea of reviewing the previous year from a task completion perspective, sometimes actual accomplishments fly by without any recognition.
Here is my 2011 “Shipping Report”, in no particular order:
- Home renovations: new heat & air, new plumbing, new roof, new bathroom, updated kitchen, refinished wood floors, updated lights & fans, new paint inside & out – 3 months of living out of a suitcase & crashing at friend’s houses, I have very kind friends.
- Yoga Teacher Training Weekend – I miss my yoga teacher & mentor- Carson Eiferd who is living in California now.
- Delivered consulting engagement to Smart Online to organize their sales message, processes and deliverables to the nonprofit sector – I recognized I have a unique perspective on audiences that most technologists do not have.
- Heart & Soul internet radio interview, very cool process to be interviewed and my ideas (and Heartmath’s) captured in perpetuity! Read my original blog post here.
- Ski trip at Snowshoe – I realized I do not like skiing at all. I did enjoy lazing around and catching up on my reading once I gave up on that whole ski thing.
- Co-delivered the Virtual Vitality Showcase, a 1-day online webinar with talented wellness resources. My co-collaborator in crime – Denise Starrett is AWESOME!
- Exhibited and attended NTEN’s NTC2011: a conference in Washington DC for Nonprofit Technology Professionals. Met with American Heart Association – very smart & mobile saavy team of folks.
- Initiated, crafted and managed project for mobile application for Susie’s Law to help supporters take action for animals.
- Crafted mobile application requirements for Bethesda Lutheran Communities for annual fundraising campaign.
- Attended the Humane Society’s Taking Action for Animals Conference in Washington, DC. Met lots of very passionate animal advocates, including Mercy for Animals a gutsy organization that tackled McDonalds’ egg supplier and got results!
- Crafted and presented Mobile ROI webinar to help nonprofits justify investment in mobile applications. Great attendance & interest in the subject.
- Attended NC Tech for Good Conference, learned all about video and how the NC Museum of Life & Science in Durham was leveraging social media.
- Family Wedding & Reunion at the Outer Banks, NC over Memorial Day. A happy/sad event, as we had lost my father four days before the wedding. RIP Gabriel E. Maravetz.
- Attended NC Association of Fundraising Professionals Annual Conference. Participated in lively discussion about mobile fundraising.
- Yoga Retreat in Wilmington, ahhh relaxation & camaraderie with my fellow yogis.
- Co-launched The M Gen, LLC with my business partner – Tonia Zampieri– a strategic consulting firm focused on introducing mobile to nonprofits.
- Attended the NC Center for Nonprofits Annual Conference, assisted in mobile presentation. Have you checked your website on mobile yet? Where is your donation button?
- Volunteered at Digital East in Washington DC. Lots of commute time in Virginia = high stress.
- Participated on experts panel for WALDE, sharing my perspective on mobile technology innovations for fundraising. Really amazing people in Wisconsin.
- Attended Internet Summit 2011 in Raleigh, NC. Mobile is a disruptive force to be reckoned with now.
- Attended Rural Coalition Annual Conference and Gala, organized mobile application requirements for RC. Collaborated w. National Crop Insurance Services & USDA.
- Reconnected with my Pilates teaching as I began to teach in Evolve Movement‘s new North Raleigh studio. Very lovely clients.